*photo courtesy Metro News*
Most transit customers just want their ride to be peaceful (don’t dare answer that phone in the Quiet Zone!), uneventful and on time. However, disruptions can happen and we know a few entertaining words from our multi-talented drivers and customer service staff can go a long way to reducing blood pressures.
For 10 years, Barrie GO customers have had the pleasure of being serenaded by singing Customer Service Ambassador (CSA) Gord, often during the holidays, bringing a smile to many. Customers love it when they suddenly hear a child’s voice announcing the next station — CSAs will often allow children to take over the microphone. And one CSA allowed a smitten, and I must say confident guy, ask his girlfriend to marry him over the air waves.
We had our share of other quotable moments in 2017.
Here are our top 10 favourites:
- On May 4th a CSA is fond of saying as the train arrives at Union Station: “We’ve come full circle from a galaxy far away. May the fourth be with you.”
- “We’re now arriving at Union Station…but the party doesn’t have to end here. After a brief stop at Union Station we will keep rockin’ eastbound making all stops to Oshawa.”
- “If you have any questions or concerns, or you would like to know what baked goods I enjoy, then please feel free to stop me on the platform and I will be more than happy to help you out.”
- One corny favourite: “Thank you for choo choo choosing GO.”
- “Ladies and gentlemen, it has been brought to my attention the current weather outside is -2 degrees with a wind chill of minus 185 degrees. So please remember to bundle up.”
- “Apologies for the crowded bus today; due to the wind I had to remove all the deck chairs from the roof.”
- After a train stalled, the CSA said: “Folks, I’m looking for about 200 volunteers to push this train – just joking; we’ll be on the move shortly.”
- Safety is always on our minds. “Tracks are for trains, so if you’re not a train, please stay off the tracks.”
- And another cold day a CSA announced: “Next stop Brrrrrrr-lington. Brrrr-lington is our next station stop. See what I did there?”
And our favourite of 2017 is….
- After the big game gets out, a CSA says: “Please don’t drink while on the train. We know it is fun. But so is running through the train naked and that’s not allowed either.”
Share with us your favourite.
Happy & Safe Holidays from all of us at Metrolinx