Since the pandemic began in March 2020, Metrolinx has kept customers and communities updated throughout the pandemic when it comes to our efforts to limit the spread of the virus and the number of staff who have tested positive for COVID.
In the past week, three additional Metrolinx employees have tested positive for COVID-19 including bus maintenance staff and operators.
Out of more than 4,300 Metrolinx employees, half of whom remain working from home, 75 have now tested positive for COVID-19 – approximately 1.6 per cent of the workforce. There have been three workplace transmissions since March 2020.
Metrolinx safety protocols such as masks, PPE and distancing, employee health checks, upgraded ventilation and sanitization, along with barriers on trains, buses and in stations have together helped limit the spread of the virus.
Everyone’s efforts are paying off as the numbers are just beginning to come down, but it is important to remain focused on the basics from public health:
- Stay home except for essential trips
- Stay home if ill or potentially exposed to COVID-19
- Wear a face covering and ensure both the nose and mouth is covered at all times (Check out the Metrolinx PPE dispensers and branded masks)
- Wash your hands regularly and use hand sanitizer
- Download the COVID Alert App – the app now works for older phones.
And last but certainly not least, protect and nurture your mental health during this difficult time. This pandemic has been a long challenging journey for us all and there is more work ahead. If you need support, there are some great resources listed with the Canadian Mental Health Association.
Story by Anne Marie Aikins, Metrolinx senior manager of media.